11 Essential Documents You Need to Prepare Before Selling a House

27th Feb 2024
Daniel Frogley

You’ve made the decision to put your house on the market and are hoping for a quick sale so you can move into the house of your dreams. Most of us will instruct a solicitor once an offer has been accepted and then wait some time for legal conveyance to proceed. If you want to ensure this happens as quickly as possible, then it's a good idea to get all the documentation you will need ready now.

Sometimes, there can be a delay if your property is leasehold or if your property isn't registered, and so having everything ready in advance will help the process move along as swiftly and smoothly as possible should any other delays occur. With that in mind, we’ve put together 11 essential documents you need to prepare before selling your property.

What Documents Do You Need When Selling a Home?

  • Passport
  • Utility bill
  • Title Deeds
  • Leasehold Documentation
  • Management Information Pack
  • Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
  • Contents and Fittings Form
  • Property Information Form
  • Mortgage Details
  • Offer of Acceptance
  • Miscellaneous other documentation – where building work has been carried out, for instance


Estate agents, legal representatives and mortgage lenders are required by law to check your identity in order to protect against money laundering. If you don't have a passport, then other photo ID is typically acceptable.

Utility Bill

Recent proof of your current address is also required to confirm your ID. A utility or council tax bill is usually the easiest to produce, but there are also other documents that are acceptable.

Title Deeds

The title deeds are the official documents showing that you are the legal owner of your home. Unless you’re mortgage-free, then you probably won’t have a copy yourself. You can get a copy from the Land Registry. The deeds are usually made up of several documents and they will cost £7 each.

Sometimes, your property will not be registered; this can happen if you have lived at the same property for some years. In the first instance, you can search the register and request certain information for a small fee, but you will need an official copy for legal proof of ownership. 

If the property isn’t registered, then you can register it now or ask a solicitor to do it. This can take some time so it’s worth investigating sooner rather than later. The fee depends on the value of your property and, if you’re using a solicitor, then you will be billed for their time. Ask for a quote first!

Leasehold Documentation

If you live in an apartment then you probably hold your property as leasehold. In order to sell you will therefore need a copy of the lease.  This can take some time if relying on the managing agent or freeholder to produce the document. So, again, the earlier you can access this documentation, the better.

Management Information Pack

If you’re a leaseholder and pay service charges to a managing agent, then you’ll need a copy of the management or leasehold information pack. This gives details of the charges, if there are any arrears and how long is left to run on the lease. This, as with title deeds and leasehold documentation, can take some time, so it’s worth applying sooner if you’re able.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

With the cost of energy skyrocketing, this document will definitely be required by any potential purchaser and your estate agent will want to see it, so that they can include it within your home seller's pack. It rates your home's efficiency on a scale from A (very good) to G (poor).  

If you bought your home recently, then it will have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) which you might be able to reuse as they are valid for 10 years (provided you have not done anything to affect the rating – if you have, you will need a new EPC). You can look up your property’s latest EPC through the online EPC register. If you don't have one then you’ll need to commission one using an approved assessor. The cost of an assessment varies by assessor and the size of the property.

Contents and Fittings Form - TA10

Your estate agent will have asked what contents and fittings you intend to include with the sale; alternatively, this may be negotiated when deciding upon an acceptable offer. Many people leave white goods, carpets and curtains when they sell their property. This form will require you to itemize exactly what will be included – even down to the light bulbs.

Property Information Form - TA6

This document is required by law and it’s essential that you fill it in accurately as failure to do so may allow your purchaser to withdraw from the sale or claim compensation. It asks questions on all matters related to your home, including neighbour disputes and whether there have been any alterations made to the property. Your solicitor will ask you to fill it in, but you can look at a sample and get started on any questions you may need to research the answer to.

Mortgage Details

If you have an existing mortgage then you will need to provide your current mortgage information, including your account details and the amount still owed. You will also need to supply details of any loans that have been taken out or charges against your property, as these will all need to be paid off upon completion of the sale. This is so that they’re not linked to the property when the deeds are transferred under the new buyer’s name.

Offer of Acceptance and Transfer of Deeds

An official document is drawn up by your solicitor officially accepting the purchaser's offer. A transfer-of-deeds form also needs to be signed in readiness of the exchange. This will include:

  • The agreed sale price
  • The date/time when the purchase is completed
  • Any legal restrictions

Various/Miscellaneous Other Documents

When selling a house, you’ll also need to provide documents for various other reasons depending on the circumstances. This is usually most applicable if you’ve had work done to your property or if your property sits in a conservation area, for instance. Below is a (far from exhaustive) list of additional documentation you may require when selling your property. Your solicitor or conveyancer will explain exactly what you will need to provide.

  • Planning permissions for any major work carried out;
  • Building regulation completion certificates and builder’s guarantee certificates for alterations or additions;
  • Subsidence guarantees/warranties;
  • Damp guarantees/warranties;
  • Party wall agreements (if relevant);
  • If a listed building, listed building consent for interior and exterior works;
  • If your home is in a conservation area, conservation area consent for works;
  • Japanese knotweed management plans (if relevant);
  • Specialist asbestos surveys (if relevant), and;
  • Any title insurance policies you may have taken out to solve title defects.

As you can see there’s quite a lot to do when preparing for a sale in Hampshire. Hopefully this article has gone part of the way towards explaining what documents you need to sell your home. And if you’re ever in any doubt, then the best thing you can do is get in touch with your solicitor or conveyancer. 

If your thinking of selling, or would like some expert advice, please get in touch with our sales team today.