How We Help

Your home is a structure that will deteriorate over time both through general wear and tear and through the way you live in the property. It is inevitable that every property will need repairs carrying out during the tenancy.

Beals have a dedicated property management team who are on hand to help you with any repairs. We will log each reported repair, investigate, contact your Landlord to organise a repair (if applicable), coordinate access for contractors to deal with the repair, and then confirm with you that the repair has been completed.

We have provided below some suggested actions that you can undertake safely to remedy the most common repair issues. However, if you are still in doubt, you should contact your designated Property Manager.

Emergency Repairs 

Our Online Reporting system is 24/7, so you can report issues at any time of day or night. Note that only those reports classed as Emergencies will be dealt with out of hours. Those reports that are not emergencies will be dealt with when your Property Manager is back in the office.

Emergency repairs include serious water leaks, when you have no central heating or hot water (and you have not been advised that the property is covered by a British Gas contract), or if the property has been broken into.

Please report these issues via our online reporting system via the following link:

Common Repairs & Things You Can Do

Check the fuse board to see if any of the fuses are in the ‘off’ position. If they are in the ‘off’ position, reset them to the ‘on’ position. You may need to reset a second fuse to the ‘on’ position (this is the RCD) or residual current circuit breaker. If the fuse trips again, and power is lost to electrical sockets, turn off / unplug all appliances in the property. Then turn the fuse onto the ‘on’ position, and plug appliances in again room by room. If the fuse trips again following an appliance being plugged in, immediately unplug that appliance. Taking these actions may restore power and assist in identifying the immediate problem.

If there is no electricity at all, you should check that your electricity bill has been paid, or in the event that the property has a pre-payment meter fitted, whether there is sufficient credit. You may also want to check if the property next door has power. If you have tried all of these solutions, then report the problem via our website.

Please note that appliances such as washing machines/electric showers/electric ovens come with isolation switches (also known as fuse spurs). These need to be switched on before these appliances will work.

Condensation mould is formed when warm, moisture-laden air hits a cold surface. It looks like an area of black spots on a wall, and is most commonly found around windows, on the internal face of external walls, and behind pieces of furniture where warm air cannot circulate and moisture is trapped. Areas behind beds, wardrobes, and chest of drawers are particularly vulnerable.

The two best things to do to prevent condensation mould is to keep areas well ventilated, with windows and doors being kept open where appropriate, and to maintain a low warm temperature in the property. You should also move any furniture away from external walls and onto internal walls, ensuring that radiators are not blocked, allowing the warm air to circulate.

If condensation mould does occur, it is easily treated with commercially available products such as Dettol Mould & Mildew Removal Spray, or with a simple bleach based solution. Frequent treatment, adequate ventilation and keeping a low warm constant temperature will all aid in dealing with condensation mould.

If you are in doubt whether you have damp, or whether the problem you are experiencing is condensation mould, please contact our office and we will attend to provide further advice.

You can find more advice here.

Locate the water stop tap and turn off immediately. Stop taps are usually located in the kitchen (under the sink or near the washing machine are good places to start looking) or in a hallway cupboard. Stop taps may also be located outside, under metal covers in the pavement. Contact your Property Manager or report the issue on our website.

Check whether there is a thermostatic valve on the radiator and that the radiator is set to the ‘on’ position (or I, II, III). If the radiator valve is turned on but you do not have heat, or there is no valve, then there might be gas trapped in the radiator, preventing the hot water from circulating. If the issue continues report the issue on our website.

Immediately call the police. Make sure to obtain a crime reference number, as you will need to provide Beals with this information. Take sufficient steps to ensure that the property is secured (if possible) and contact Beals once this is done.